Monday, September 30, 2013

Random thought #2

Hey, guess what? I was thinking about when it became necessary for so many articles of clothing to have big ass logos emblazoned on it and when did that start? Well, I think I found the answer.

The first item of clothing with some sort of big logo was The Poodle Skirt, created in the 1950s by a woman named Juli Lynne Charlot. Originally, the skirt was meant to be made at home with a sewing pattern if a person was unable to buy it at whatever boutique was carrying them at the time.

I find that very interesting, since the idea of living in the suburbs in a brand new house with new appliances, and flashy new car was the new"thing" to do.


Does anybody know of any older brands with a big logo of sorts on it? The only one I can come up with is Lacoste, but I can't find any sources that show any pictures of the earlier clothes that existed in the 30s. I don't think the Lacoste alligator logo was ever big in the past, It may be likely that the alligator was added to the left breast of the shirt later, and maybe the tag had the brand in it.

Anyway, that's my random thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment