Thursday, January 2, 2014

Obligatory New Years Post

Happy New Year you guys. For those who are reading this blog, or paying attention to the news in general, you know it's been a rough year. To be honest, I have no idea what this year brings. So far some good things have happened. Gay people can finally get married in all 50 states, and marijuana has been made officially legal in all forms in Colorado. Utah has an attorney general who is willing to spend two million dollars to fight this thing as if the world will end if two men or two women marry each other. I'm sure there are people who are pissed at him for wasting their money on such a trivial subject. I'm sure the schools are in such great shape that the state can afford such luxuries. But anyway, you already know I support gay marriage, so I'll just leave it at that. Back to Colorado though. Maaan! They are going to make sooo much money. There will be Colorado weed tasting tours, smoker's clubs (kind of like cigar clubs), and people will be able to buy a pack of joints. I see them treating it like cigarettes and alcohol, meaning that they won't be able to smoke them in restaurants, or public areas. I'm sure a person could become subject to getting a DUI if they drive while stoned,or get stoned while driving. However I did hear that some employers will still drug test employees and fire them if they come up positive.   Wouldn't that be counter productive? I could see them doing a zero tolerance policy, meaning a person can't smoke while on the job, or show up high. Plus marijuana stays in the system longer than alcohol. That means if a person decides to unwind after work by smoking a bowl or joint,and they get tested two or three weeks down the road, they could still lose their job. Hmm. I wonder which employers would choose to do that. Wouldn't the companies gain a high turnover rate? Wouldn't that make it harder to find a job in general?  I can definitely see an exodus to Colorado happening very soon once they get the kinks worked out of the legalization process.  The standard of living could skyrocket. All I can do is wait and see. I might just venture over there once they have all the bugs sorted out. Who knows.

Anyway, this year brings 2 positive things so far. We'll see what else happens. Hopefully there will be more positivity to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment