Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fundraiser for Potato Salad Raised over Forty Thousand Dollars.

Hol up...what?
Yes. You read right. Apparently a guy wanted to make potato salad so he started a kickstarter program to raise funds. No big deal, right? Maybe he had a family recipe that he wanted to share with the world.  Maybe it was so good that all of his friends had been begging him to mass produce it. I was hoping that was the case, but once I found the original kickstarter, I was surprised to find out that his maximum goal was one hundred dollars.  He could have gone to friends, family members, gone through his couch cushions, looked around in his car, and rolled up some pennies,and (insert any type of bootstrap pulling behavior here) to get the money for it. But nope, he enlisted the whole internet to help him reach his goal. The goal was that if he made one hundred dollars, he would try to make 2 different versions of potato salad.  

This mofo right here was able to raise over forty thousand dollars. That's right!  Forty. Thousand. Dollars.  I'm trying to find out how the hell could someone raise that much for making potato salad that isn't going to be consumed by the masses. This is something for him and his friends.  And when the money started rolling in, he upped the ante. Here's his big stretch goal Word. For. Word.:  


A BIG STRETCH GOAL: 

We're really tearing through these stretch goals. I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore. So, I thought maybe we try to double the current number? 
$3000: My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!
Now, in an age where Levar Burton raised millions on the very first day of his kickstarter in order to bring back Reading rainbow while Washingon Post tried to smear the effort by saying it was 'bullshit' because Reading Rainbow was a "failed endevor" is killing me. This fool gets funded for a chance to make potato salad and "invite the internet to the potato salad party" doesn't get called "bullshit"  by any media outlets? They need to GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT MESS. For those who still don't see why, I'll break it down for you. Levar Burton was trying to bring back the joy of Reading Rainbow for the next generation of kids. I loved that show so much that when it was time for the kickstarter to happen, I jumped at the chance for supporting it by donating what I could. I still don't understand how somebody could crap on the idea and a successful attempt of making something positive for the kids.  Who does that and says it's okay to do so? Meanwhile, the potato salad fundraiser is called "bizarre" by the same establishment.  Something's strange here indeed.

Meanwhile, somebody decided to test the rest of the internet by starting her own kickstarter by asking for white privilege as a joke. She's getting money from it and her rewards are hilarious as well.  Needless to say, I'll be watching for the outcome of this. I'm not going to lie. I hope she gets that money because it'll open up a discussion that a whole lot of folks just don't want to talk about. Until then, I'll be waiting and watching.


 Popcorngif.com


Anyway, shoutout to the Miles Ahead campaign that Don Cheadle started.  He made his goal 8 hours before the deadline. I'll be honest. I was really nervous about this movie. I didn't think they'd make the goal in time. I'll be looking forward to seeing this film, purchasing it and receiving my reward for donating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment