Thursday, March 7, 2019

Changing our Standards

Sorry for the long wait in between blogs. I've been very busy creating my own media outlets lately. That being said, :

In order for us to become successful, we must dissect our standards and what makes them ours. I'm not telling you to lower your standards by any means, I'm just saying that we can not allow the White standards of everything into our minds anymore. For example, We all know that music has to be polished, bought and paid for or it gets no play on Clear Channel, right?  What if we created our own radio station that showcases artists with messages that we really want to hear. I know there are a whole lot of people tired of hearing about bitches and hoes, drugs, shooting, "hating niggas" and being hard 24/7. I know I am. It has worn on me to the point where I don't even know who today's artists are, and I can't name any of their new songs.  I'll have to take that back, there is one song I like by a guy named "Flipp Dinero called "Leave Me Alone:



Other than that, I find it hard to mess with a lot of new artists. In fact, I got so tired of listening to what was being spoonfed to me, I decided I'd make my own music. Whether it gets picked up by anyone or not, I just do this for myself. It helps me keep my sanity in the current world we live in. We must start funding small businesses, radio stations, and startups in order to keep our own narrative going.  We need to support our local Black filmmakers, and not judge them through a White based lens. We need Black Hollywood, Black Sundance Film Festival, Black music award ceremonies, black music video producers, etc. We can no longer say we don't have the money. The Movie Black panther proved that we have so much money and we don't have anything to show for it. That made me very sad when they came up with the numbers that Disney pulled in.  At this point, some of us are sitting on our hands when it comes to helping to support our own media outlets.

But there is some great news. There are some really good podcasts and radio shows out there that are Black-owned and centered. There are YouTube channels geared towards our tastes and issues that affect us.  But it seems like people aren't looking for them, or they know about them and are trying to keep those outlets as their own little secret. For those who don't share these outlets with people just because it makes you feel special to have something all yours, then I'ma need you to GTFOHWTBS!



For real. Why, you ask? I say so because it's one of the Whitest things you could do is keep something for yourself and not tell anybody how good it is or where it came from. It reminds me of how many White people have "antiques" kept in their homes that have no story, according to grandpa; the items that grandpa said you should be proud of.  Those antiques could have been 'acquired' by the robbing, looting, and burning of Black towns. How many antique books that might have been bound by human skin have they kept, for example:

Anyway, We must take a deep look at ourselves and figure out which side are we on. Do we want to be on the wrong side of history, or the right side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment