Tuesday, April 28, 2015

"This is NOT your hood. You don't own that"... << On Protest Chants.



For those who don't know. I've been active on the social justice front. Two particular chants that had been circulating around the Ferguson protests have made me cringe. That chant went as follows:

This is what democracy looks like! Whose streets?! OUR STREETS.

Newsflash people...


This article is what democracy looks like. Pay attention. These are not your streets.


This article is exactly why I cringed so hard when people were chanting about democracy and who owns the streets. Read this article and read it carefully. I've been trying to tell people about my feelings towards those chants and why people think I've "changed" a bit. I have not changed. This article clearly explains my thoughts. Think about that the next time (because we KNOW damn well, there will be a next time, after all how many people have died after Mike Brown in Ferguson?) you go to a protest and decide to chant with the people, or come up with your own chant. Think about it. That's why that chant could GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT.That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment